Sunday, October 24, 2021

Papertrey Ink September Release Countdown Day 4: Happy Hanukkah & Oh Holy Night

Hi everyone! It's Day 4 of the Papertrey Ink October release and I've got a couple cards to share! This first card uses the new Happy Hanukkah die with some basics you probably already have in your stash. I used my nesting circle dies and cut them in 4 shades of blue: Dark Indigo, Enchanted Evening, Blueberry Sky, and Spring Rain. I love how they look together!

ts
Dies: Happy Hanukkah
Paper: Dark Indigo, Enchanted Evening, Blueberry Sky, Spring Rain, White, Gold

I added gold for the candle "flames" and added it around the edge and as a shadow for the word die. The gold accents pull everything together and makes the card look finished to me. 

For my second card, I used the trees from the Oh Holy Night set. These tall silhouette trees are just beautiful! I paired it with one of my favorite stamps from the Grand Sentiments set. 

Stamps: Oh Holy Night, Grand Christmas Sentiments, City Scene Christmas Sentiments 
Dies: Oh Holy Night, Grand Christmas Sentiments
Paper: Rustic White

Did you know that the City Scene Christmas Sentiments Mini Stamp Set has a Santa sleigh stamp? This stamp is perfect for making moon scenes like this. The sentiment and trees both come with matching dies which I love!  


While you're here, below are some behind the scenes tips on how this card was put together!

When stamping on die cuts, I use my Misti stamp positioner with Post-It strips. I face the sticky side up to hold my die cut and then hold the Post-It down with magnets. To achieve the multicolor stamped image, I used a small sponge to apply ink to the stamp instead of inking directly with a stamp pad. With the positioner, you can layer as many colors as you want!

To give my moon a glowy look, I use a small sponge to sponge white pigment ink around the masked moon. I also use it for puffy night clouds. The sponge will pull some of the colors of the sky onto the moon area which looks like moon shadows/craters. 

To get perfectly imperfect splatters, I use a splatter tool that is made up of sticks that dip in watered down paint and "flick" to get the splatter. The one I use is from Liquitex. Don't forget to use a splatter box too to catch your mess! As you can see, mine is very well used!

That's all for me this week! So what's your favorite from the release? Check out the Papertrey Ink blog for more fun peeks from the rest of the DT! 

Mahalo and aloha!
JJ

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the tips on creating this wonderful scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the Hanukkah card! (Well actually all the cards.) Did you stack the circles or cut each “candle” with two nested circle dies and then nested the halves? Thanks for sharing your beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete